Memphis Mayor Jim said: “I am angry with them, and I am angry with the citizens who had to evacuate for their own safety until this suspect was arrested. This is not how we live and is unacceptable.” Strickland offered his condolences to the victims’ families.
“People in our city have faced a type of violence that no one should face.”
Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn “CJ” Davis said at a press conference Thursday that at least one of the shootings was apparently streamed on Facebook Live, ultimately leading to Ezekiel Kelly’s arrest after a high-speed chase.
“Our citizens in Memphis and Shelby County were going about their normal lives, finishing work, picking up their kids from daycare, and suddenly it was shattered,” Shelby County Sheriff Floyd Bonner said. said. “Many families will never get over the horrific violence we have witnessed.
History of the shooting incident
The first shots were reported at about 12:56 a.m. at the 3100 block of Lindale Avenue. Responding officers found the male victim in the driveway and he was pronounced dead at the scene, Davis said.
“The murder suspect was known as Zeke Funcho. He was later identified as Ezekiel Kelly,” Davis said at a press conference.
At 4:38 p.m., another shooting occurred at Block 900 on South Parkway East, and a man was found with multiple gunshot wounds inside his vehicle. He was confirmed dead at the scene.
Video surveillance from a nearby business caught the shooter pulling up next to the victim in a gray sedan and firing multiple shots before driving away, Davis said.
A few minutes later, at 4:40 p.m., officers responded to shootings on Norris Road and I-240 and found a woman with a gunshot wound to her leg. She was taken to hospital in non-critical condition. The suspect fled in a dark sedan, Davis said.
More than an hour later, at 5:59 p.m., police responded to a shooting at a store on the 4000 block of Jackson Avenue. “Ezekiel Kelly shot himself in the store on Facebook Live,” Davis said.
Responding officers found a man with a gunshot wound. He was taken to hospital in critical condition.
Shortly after, at 6:12 p.m., police received a call from a concerned citizen who said a person named “Sieg Funcho” was “threatening to harm the public” on Facebook. It says.
At 7:23 pm, another shooting was reported in the area of Poplar Avenue and North Evergreen where a woman was shot dead. The shooter fled the scene in the victim’s vehicle, her gray SUV, he said.
A minute later, officers responded to another shooting on Poplar Street and found the man who had been shot. He was taken to hospital in a non-serious condition, Davis said.
Then, at 8:55 p.m., police called out to Block 800 on West Raines Road, where Davis said a woman was pronounced dead with a gunshot wound.
Shortly after, at 8:56 p.m., the South Haven, Mississippi police department responded to an area of Stateline Road and Route 51 where a carjacking occurred, Davis said. Police said Kelly held the victim at gunpoint, took his gray Dodge Challenger, and left his gray SUV behind. The victim was unharmed. South Haven is across the state line from Memphis.
Two minutes later, at 8:58 PM, Memphis police spotted the Challenger on I-55 and a high-speed chase ensued.
The chase was over and Kelly was taken into custody without incident.
The chief said two weapons were seen in the car when Kelly was arrested. “Numerous felony charges are pending,” she added.
Mayor says violence is ‘unacceptable’
Strickland said Kelly had previously been charged with attempted first-degree murder but pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of aggravated assault in April 2021. He was sentenced to his three years in prison but served only 11 months before being released in March, the mayor said.
“Even if Mr. Kelly had completed his three-year sentence, he would still be in prison today and four of our fellow citizens would still be alive,” Strickland said. .
At the press conference, Davis thanked those who alerted police about the Facebook livestream.
Facebook’s parent company, Meta, said it was working closely with law enforcement on the matter.
The social media giant got in touch with the agency shortly after police issued the first public alert, and has since removed video content that may have been linked to the incident.
CNN’s Stephen Almasy and Amanda Jackson contributed to this report.